It is interesting to note that there are many Bajau ethnic groups in Sabah, but one catches my attention, that of the Bajau Community at Kg Darau Laut, Inanam, Kota Kinabalu.
The village is now divided into two; one is the old village and the other the new settlement. It is most heartening to note that the river had been widened and strengthened with concrete.
This community came to the area now known as Kg Darau about some 300 years ago from Johor, southern tip of Peninsular Malaysia. When they first arrived they saw some Dusun rice farmers. The Dusun farmers soon moved fruther inland to the foot of the mountain which is now known as Mandau, in Menggatal, a town closeby to Inanam.
Darau got its name from the Dusun language which means 'slowly' or 'pelan pelan' in Bahasa Malaysia. Some people also said that Darau comes from the word Darul which is similar to Darul Salam which is the neighboring State of Negara Brunei Darul Salam.
The community which originally came from Saudi Arabia could have come to this part of the world to spread the religion of Islam at that time. There were 6 of them including the father which included 3 men and 2 ladies and the one that stayed in Sabah was the lady. This means that the Bajau Community in Darau is of the Arab decent or heritage. They still keep some of the things left by their forefathers including some old religious document, dress and of course an old drum which we call 'beduk'.
Kementerian Pelancongan Kesenian Dan Alam Sekitar Sabah
Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka
Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia
- ► 2010 (53)
- Sabah Art Gallery Site
- Committee Meeting Postponed
- Batu Payung Tinagat Tawau - More A Legend
- Other Historical Landmarks In Tawau
- A Bugis Philanthropist Built This Old Tawau Mosque...
- What Used To Be A Theatre
- Tawau Central Market Built in 1972
- Between Old And New
- The Grand Old Post Office Building
- Datuk M Y Ahmad
- Weaving Industry In Kota Belud, Sabah,Malaysia
- Lest We Forget Our History
- Remembering The Warriors Of Kalabakan in Tawau
- Kain Tenunan, Songket & Rattan
- CAEXPO In Naning, Guangxi, China
- New Memorial Landmark For Our Warriors
- Selamat Menyambut Bulan Kemerdekaan
- What Is Left Of The Tawau Old Maternity Hospital
- Tawau History
- Batu Payung The Answer to Tawau History
- The Tomb Of Sharif Osman Need Conservation
- Visiting Anjung Sejarah In Kuala Lumpur
- We Could Still Carry On
- Courtesy Call To Its Patron And Advisor
- Keep Proper Records of Members
- PSM Cawangan Sabah Now Officially Linked To PSM HQ...
- Meeting With Director Of Economic Planning Unit Sa...
- They Still Smoke 'Kirai' In Sabah
- The Big Drum Called Sang Gendang
- Bajau Community At Kampong Darau Laut
- Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia Cawangan Sabah Constitu...
- Books As Souvenirs
- SIFE UMS Made History
- Finance Committee Meeting
- Progress We Have Made in August 2009
- Life Members, Institution Members And Students Mem...
- Fund Raising From Contributions
- Fund Raising in Q1 Of 2010
- Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia Cawangan Sabah History ...
- Committee Meeting Re-scheduled
- Constitution For Free
- SELAMAT BERPUASA
- After Hari Raya Meeting
- ▼ August (44)