Tuesday, August 18, 2009
The Tomb Of Sharif Osman Need Conservation
In the forest reserve of Kudat and Kota Marudu lies the tomb of Sharif Osman as well as the other people who had died fighting including the British soldiers. According to the Ketua Kampong of Kg Sharif Osman in Kota Marudu, En Injin, it was not Sharif Osman because Sharif Osman had passed away. It was his son name, Sharif Rom. It started with a misunderstanding with Rajah Brooke, the White Rajah of Sarawak over that of Sharif Rom's wife who is the daughter of the Sultan of Sulu. The British had wanted to take the picture of Sharif Rom's wife who was claimed to have some extraordinary appearance in that when she ate anything you could see the color of the food in her throat. However Sharif Rom disagreed and had only agreed to take the picture of the palm of his hand. So the misunderstanding started and Rajah Brook told Sharif Rom to prepare for a battle and make himself a fort or a stronghold at Marudu. The British Armada fired from Pulau Mantanani, an island off Kota Belud, southwest of Kudat. Sharif Rom was said to be very fierce and cruel and he had instructed his men to hang the testicles of the British soldiers who had died. In the cementry at the forest reserve lies Sharif Rom and his followers as well as the British soldiers who had died. Rajah Brook was called by the Sultan of Brunei to engage with the rebellion from Sharif Dom. Rajah Brook was given the piece of land now called Sarawak for his success in defeating Sharif Dom and his men. So starts the White Rajah dynasty in Sarawak. The Ketua Kampong of Kg Sharif Osman said that they were under the Sultanate of Brunei before the Independence. The Sulu Sultanate came through the marriage of the daughter to Sharif Rom. The tomb and cemetary is not well looked after despite the visits by tourists to the area. You will miss the are if that was your first visit. The place must be preserved for the future generation to inherit as it is part of the history for Sabah. The Sabah Muzium and Historical Department of UMS had visited the area but not much had been done as was seen through the lack of sign-board and information and road signs. Even the road entrance did not mention the Tomb of Sharif Osman but called Jalan Ranau. For those who do not know may think that it is the road to Ranau, a town in the Interior. It is high time that we do something about our very own history. The British could have taken the surname when they mentioned Sharif Osman which could have come from Sharif Rom Osman.Sharif is a name given to people who is knowledgeable is very much revered by the local community.
Kementerian Pelancongan Kesenian Dan Alam Sekitar Sabah
Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka
Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia
- ► 2010 (53)
- Sabah Art Gallery Site
- Committee Meeting Postponed
- Batu Payung Tinagat Tawau - More A Legend
- Other Historical Landmarks In Tawau
- A Bugis Philanthropist Built This Old Tawau Mosque...
- What Used To Be A Theatre
- Tawau Central Market Built in 1972
- Between Old And New
- The Grand Old Post Office Building
- Datuk M Y Ahmad
- Weaving Industry In Kota Belud, Sabah,Malaysia
- Lest We Forget Our History
- Remembering The Warriors Of Kalabakan in Tawau
- Kain Tenunan, Songket & Rattan
- CAEXPO In Naning, Guangxi, China
- New Memorial Landmark For Our Warriors
- Selamat Menyambut Bulan Kemerdekaan
- What Is Left Of The Tawau Old Maternity Hospital
- Tawau History
- Batu Payung The Answer to Tawau History
- The Tomb Of Sharif Osman Need Conservation
- Visiting Anjung Sejarah In Kuala Lumpur
- We Could Still Carry On
- Courtesy Call To Its Patron And Advisor
- Keep Proper Records of Members
- PSM Cawangan Sabah Now Officially Linked To PSM HQ...
- Meeting With Director Of Economic Planning Unit Sa...
- They Still Smoke 'Kirai' In Sabah
- The Big Drum Called Sang Gendang
- Bajau Community At Kampong Darau Laut
- Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia Cawangan Sabah Constitu...
- Books As Souvenirs
- SIFE UMS Made History
- Finance Committee Meeting
- Progress We Have Made in August 2009
- Life Members, Institution Members And Students Mem...
- Fund Raising From Contributions
- Fund Raising in Q1 Of 2010
- Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia Cawangan Sabah History ...
- Committee Meeting Re-scheduled
- Constitution For Free
- SELAMAT BERPUASA
- After Hari Raya Meeting
- ▼ August (44)