The story about this stone among the Tidong community is about a Tidong man called Bentawo who had wanted to reach his wife, who was a goddess, but he was unsuccessful to reach her and she went to a place called SiBuku Island in Indonesia. To go to this place you have to take a boat and it takes about 4 hours. He used an axe to cut down the stone but was unsuccessful and she was lost foreaver. You could see some footprints at the place near the Batu Payung area. Buku means book and a religious person could be the one called Sibuku.
Tinagat is also called ‘Tanah Naga’ which means the Land Of The Dragon. Could the goddess be some Chinese princess who became a Chinese goddess later on? It has become part of the history of the Tidong community until this date. Batu Payung is called such as it looked like an umbrella and ‘payung’, a Malay word means an umbrella. Most of the ladies use umbrella until today. So there is a relation here in that there could be a lady living here in the past.
Batu Payung today is lined up with coconut tress and there is beach and many of the communities who lived at Batu Payung are fishermen and small holders.
Kementerian Pelancongan Kesenian Dan Alam Sekitar Sabah
Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka
Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia
- ► 2010 (53)
- Sabah Art Gallery Site
- Committee Meeting Postponed
- Batu Payung Tinagat Tawau - More A Legend
- Other Historical Landmarks In Tawau
- A Bugis Philanthropist Built This Old Tawau Mosque...
- What Used To Be A Theatre
- Tawau Central Market Built in 1972
- Between Old And New
- The Grand Old Post Office Building
- Datuk M Y Ahmad
- Weaving Industry In Kota Belud, Sabah,Malaysia
- Lest We Forget Our History
- Remembering The Warriors Of Kalabakan in Tawau
- Kain Tenunan, Songket & Rattan
- CAEXPO In Naning, Guangxi, China
- New Memorial Landmark For Our Warriors
- Selamat Menyambut Bulan Kemerdekaan
- What Is Left Of The Tawau Old Maternity Hospital
- Tawau History
- Batu Payung The Answer to Tawau History
- The Tomb Of Sharif Osman Need Conservation
- Visiting Anjung Sejarah In Kuala Lumpur
- We Could Still Carry On
- Courtesy Call To Its Patron And Advisor
- Keep Proper Records of Members
- PSM Cawangan Sabah Now Officially Linked To PSM HQ...
- Meeting With Director Of Economic Planning Unit Sa...
- They Still Smoke 'Kirai' In Sabah
- The Big Drum Called Sang Gendang
- Bajau Community At Kampong Darau Laut
- Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia Cawangan Sabah Constitu...
- Books As Souvenirs
- SIFE UMS Made History
- Finance Committee Meeting
- Progress We Have Made in August 2009
- Life Members, Institution Members And Students Mem...
- Fund Raising From Contributions
- Fund Raising in Q1 Of 2010
- Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia Cawangan Sabah History ...
- Committee Meeting Re-scheduled
- Constitution For Free
- SELAMAT BERPUASA
- After Hari Raya Meeting
- ▼ August (44)